Friday, October 21, 2011

Craziness!

Sorry. This is another picture-less post.
So the past few weeks have been, well, crazy. So lets start with two Sundays ago. 
The missionariess came up to me and asked me if I could kinda of watch out for this less active YSA, Heath, so he doesn't feel so alone. So I was like, um, sure. I guess. No problem. Whatever. So I went to class and kinda asked him how he was doing and how his week went, you know the usual, typical questions you ask someone you haven't seen in a while. 
So anyways, the next day, they came over to talk to Brendan but he was just leaving so instead they just started asking me questions about myself and how long I was planning on hanging around. So after about five or ten minutes of interrogation, they asked if I could go teaching with them. (insert that sound of scratching a disc and stopping the music because i'm pretty sure that is what I heard.) So then I was like, um sure? I guess? Secretly, I was trying not to pee. So I got invited the hang out with the missionaries.
So the next night, Tuesday night, I am cooking dinner, probably singing, acting like I am Julie Andrews or Rachel Berry, everything is just going just swell, and then I get a phone call. It was a '719' number which means it's a Colorado number so I didn't really know what was going to happen. So I answer my phone and here is the conversation:
Me: "Hello."
Mystery Caller:"Is this Ashlynn?"
Me:Ah, yes. This is Ashlynn.
Mystery Caller:Hi Ashlynn. This is Josh Paige"
Me:"Oh. Hello Josh Paige. How are you doing?"
Josh Paige:"Oh. I'm doing good. How are you doing?"
Me:"Oh, well I'm doing good, thanks."
Josh Paige (Josh Paige by the way is the Bobby Ray look-a-like who I have really only talked to like three times maybe.):"Good. I hope you don't mind I got your number from my dad." 
(And I should mention that his dad just got called to be the bishop.)
Me:"Oh no. That's totally fine." 
(It's not like it's on the ward web-site or anything, but whatever.)
Josh Paige:"So you know how I volunteered to give the lesson on Sunday [in the YSA Sunday School class]?"
Me:"Yes?" 
(At this point, I'm having ideas as to why Josh Paige is calling me.)
Josh Paige:"Well, I just got called in to work on Sunday and won't be able to teach anymore, and so we were talking about it at dinner and my dad [the new bishop] thought that maybe you would be able to sub for me."
(insert the record scratching, music stopping sound)
Me:"Ohhhh, Haaa. Ha ha. Ah-ho, Josh Paige."
Josh Paige."I know! I'm sorry. I feel really bad. If it's too much or you don't want too don't worry about it. I can see if maybe they can go into the adult class if it's too much. I am so sorry. I feel really bad."
Me: Ohhhh. Haaa. Ha ha. Ah-ho, Josh Paige. Well not gonna lie. Not what I was expecting."
Josh Paige:"Ha ha. I know. I'm sorry."
Me:"Oh no. It's ok. Its not your fault. Well I mean you didn't plan on having to work. But, um, no. I think that should be fine. I can teach for you."
Josh Paige:"Are you sure? I feel bad and you don't have too if you don't want too."
Me: "Um no. It'll be fine. It's ok. Really."
Josh Paige:"Really? Are you sure?"
Me (by now I was trying to hide the panic in my voice and the fact that a little part of me wanted to pass out):"Yeah. No. Really, it's ok. For you Josh Paige, I can teach on Sunday."
Josh Paige: Now laughing. "Aw Thanks Ashlynn. You're awesome. Thank you so much."
Me in my mind:"I know, right?."
The rest of the conversation pretty much consisted of him telling me what lesson we were on and then asking for my hand in marriage. Ha ha. Just kidding. But yeah. Wanted to pass out a little.
So then I ended up going out with the missionaries on Thursday which wasn't as bad as I thought as I thought it might be. Not because I didn't want to be there I just didn't want to say the wrong thing or something along those lines. I didn't really have to talk a lot, which was nice for everyone, and we talking about the Tree of Life so it wasn't too bad.
So then I taught on Sunday and it actually went pretty well. Josh sent thank you cookies which was way great because I was in need of some chocolate to help calm the nerves. But I forewarned them that the only other time I taught was the sunbeams for three weeks and all we really did was color pictures and eat goldfish; however it ended up going well so I was just thankful for that.
So then on Monday. I get a text from the bishop's secretary, or clerk(?, whoever makes the appointments) saying that the bishop would like to meet with me. I figured it was a meet 'n greet because he was new and I am new(ish). So I went in Tuesday night for my meet 'n greet which was pretty much talking about my family, and my current plans, and my future plans for school, and ended up walking out as one of the YSA Sunday School teachers (once again, insert the record scratching, music stopping). Yeah. Wasn't expecting that one either. I'll be team teaching with Josh and maybe one other person and we'll just rotate but. Whoa! I definitely made a chocolate run that night.
So I am kinda nervous just because I am the youngest person in the class and don't really have any life experiences besides making brownies and eating chocolate. But I just have had this quote going through my head a lot since then that, "the Lord doesn't called those who are qualified, but qualifies us through our callings."
And it's only for a few months so hopefully I don't do any serious damage or turn someone completely inactive; but if I do I won't be here to see it so sorry about that. But anyways blog. These have been the latest grey hairs on my head.

1 comment:

  1. you will be a great teacher, and I bet you even make some bomb handouts/treats. Please take a picture of Josh Paige for the blog so we can judge of his cloneish-ness.

    ReplyDelete