Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My Blue Rain Jacket

So last Thursday was fun. Brendan had decided that he wanted to take us on a hike to go to this place where he had gone that Tuesday with small waterfalls that Kate and Cammy (and I) could play in. But he wanted to this hiking back pack that you can shove your kid into so when Kate got tired or didn't want to walk anymore, which is very normal, he could just throw her back there and it would be fine. Brendan also has been riding me about how I still didn't have a rain jacket (I think he forgot that we don't ever need rain jackets in California so me having one prior to moving here was just a little ridiculous) so he thought that since we were going hiking that weekend and then camping in a few weeks it would have been a good time to get one. So we all got ready and  went to REI, which let me just say is way cool. I felt so outdoorsy and sporty. So as we went in Brendan gave me the low down on things to look for and the things to avoid: rainproof not rain resistant, breathable so I don't get hot, a hood of course, pit zips are a plus, and sealed seems so rain does not get in. So I set off and pretty much had so much fun, however it was really hard to meet all of the requirements and stay within a very poor budget. However, after looking and trying a few on, then picking myself  off the floor when I would look at some of the prices, and then looking some more, I finally found one for a reasonable price, and in the kids section! I was so excited! So I go find Brendan to see if this one is the one for me, however when I find Brendan this is what I found.

Brendan had found what he had been looking for. 

Him and Kate were super happy and super excited about it. Kate kept calling it the roller coaster.
So after a few test runs around, and around the store

Brendan and Kate decided it was just the thing they needed. However it was kinda expensive so Brendan was doing some mental debating. So as he was thinking I was showing him my jacket to see what if it was a good buy or a total fail when this solider walk up to us and started talking about he has the same pack and he loved it however his kid has grown out of it so he was thinking about selling it for 100 dollars! So Brendan asked him for his name and number and totally struck a deal with this guy. As did I apparently. It was a super good jacket for a really good price (sadly with no pit zips but I'm saving that for my next jacket). So then we got some pants for Kate and then sunglasses for Brendan and then decided to check out. So here is kinda, sorta the best part. Wednesday, when we got home from the Focus on Family place, a little piece of plastic with my name on it, that also said I was a big girl, came in the mail. Yep. My very own credit card. So I was able to use my first credit card, for the first time, for my first rain jacket.

 Now I know all about credit cards so I paid most of it in cash and then just the last little amount with my card; but either way it was a little exciting. I just really like that my name is on it to be honest. Even if it was completely fake, my name looks so cool.

So this would be me rockin my super cute jacket (or so I think) with my credit card that I actually have not used since.
So I wore my jacket out of the store, at lunch, and all the way home. The best part, a little after we got home, it started raining! Talk about excitement. I put it back on and then rain outside and stood in the drive way watching the rain ht my jacket and roll off. It was pretty much amazing! I'm sure the neighbors thought I was completely stupid and strange for just standing there in the rain in shorts just looking at my jacket the whole time.
So finally when my legs had tons of goose bumps all over them I came in side and thought I would start making dinner. The first when I got here I just really wanted my grandma's chicken casserole because it is pretty much amazing and I think it kinda cured any homesickness I might have been feeling. So i wore my handy dandy, super cute (and wrinkly) apron that Brittany made for me before I left. 

Lets just say that dinner was a success. It was so funny. Kate took her first bit and with big eyes went, "mmmm". Brendan kept piling it on his plate and Corinne said it was amazing. For me, it was just another good way to end the day. It just took me back to Sunday Night/Family dinners at Rhonda and Roberts being able to be with my family. Food really does just bring people together!

1 comment:

  1. I hate you a little bit for being able to shop in the kids section. But I love that the apron made the blog. Andi was looking at the pictures and said "I think Ashlynn is having fun. I'm glad."

    ReplyDelete