Thursday, July 14, 2011

So Thankful.

So this last Sunday was the first time that I went to church at a real, big kids, Young Single Adult Ward. I have gone to church with the girls before to their student ward, however, I have always been with people I know and so this would be the first time I went solo somewhere. So I went to church and luckily, one of Alexis' co-workers lived in Colorado Springs and had a sister who still lives here and attends the single ward here. So, I went and met Jen (who might I just say I think is way nice and super cute) right before Sacrament, and then sat by her pretty much for the rest of the day. However, that is not really the main part that I am trying to get at. Well for one, I found out by listening to this group of people talk that there are many people who can play the piano and a few who can play the organ. So selfishly, that was a big relief. And two, the part I am really thankful for, is the calm and peaceful reassurance that I got, knowing that I was going to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and not just a building I thought looked nice. At first I was nervous because I wasn't really going to know anyone, but it gave me comfort that when the counselor stood up to start the meeting, we would have an opening song, that would be followed by an opening prayer; and then the reverent passing of the sacrament, and that would followed by people who gave talks that were about agency but who used the same scriptures and prophets and apostles that I knew. I don't know if I'm making much sense or if I'm just rambling on re-playing every minute of my Sunday, but what I am trying to say is that at first I was a little scared to go to the "big kids" ward all by myself, but the fact is that it was really just like any Sunday where I could feel the spirit and gave me great reassurance that the gospel is true and is all the same whether you live in pipin hot Bakersfield, California or you find yourself in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I am so thankful for the gospel and to have it my life, and I am grateful for how it as already helped and comforted me as I have timidly started off here in "The Springs", as the locals like to call it.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad the gospel hasn't fixed your English skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch adam. I'll punch him in the ear for you Asher.

    ReplyDelete