Saturday, July 30, 2011

The View From the Top

So last Saturday Brendan had planned to take us on a hike with waterfalls and all that jazz however we were talking Friday night and then a small change of plans. We decided to go to Pike's Peak instead. So we all loaded in the car and drove to the top of the mountain.The drive was way fun. Corinne sat in the back with Kate so I got to sit in the front. It mostly consisted of Brendan making fun of me and calling me gay so then then I would call him gay and then he would just make fun of me some more but it was lots of fun. It took about 45 minutes to get to the mountain and then 15 minutes to pass through the check in point that gives you the maps and warnings and so forth. So as we were passing through Brendan asked for this Jr. Ranger booklet that they give kids to show then what things to look for and color in and what not. So Brendan made Kate take a pledge to always protect the forest and be nice to everyone like Mommy, and Daddy, and Cammy, and Asher.


Then after she promised, Brendan gave her her Jr. Ranger Star that she wore the rest of the day.
So after the gate it is another hour to get the top. So after an hour with amazing views we got to the top and the view was beautiful!


This is the Preston's with the sign.


Then me with the sign. And in my blue jacket that I bought for this very event.


Then me planking on the sign because I knew Adam would have wanted me too.
(Beat that Alexis, Emma, and Stephani)
And I would have crawled on top but there was like a line.
One of the great views.

Me standing on the egde.
Me planking on the edge. Don't be to critical of my technique. I'm a little rusty. It's been about two months. So after this Corinne and Kate went inside the summit house so Brendan and I did some exploring and picture taking.

(Another pretty view.)
So there was this rock that you can climb out to so Brendan and I took turns. This is my favorite picture of him on the edge.


So then I took my turn and crawled out to the edge.


This is my favorite picture of me on the edge.

Brendan likes to caption this one as
"Ashlynn with the whole world in front of her" 
So finally we made our way in and met Corinne and Kate.


We did our souvenir shopping. Kate got a marmot stuffed animal. And I of course got a shoot glass to add to my random, pointless collection that I have worked hard to build.


I think it's cute.
Ok Gabbitas' and Dave Bunting, after doing our shopping I finally made my way over to the very much anticipated, famous donuts. And let me just say, they were quite yummy


They did not let me down. i'm sure there are other donuts that are much better however, I was pretty pleased and quite satisfied. But what we didn't know about was the amazing fudge that they have.


After I got my donut Brendan and I made our way around to the other side of the counter and got some bomb fudge that Corinne told us about. That was qutie delightful too.
So then we went back out side before we left and looked at the other side of the summit house. This side consisted of the more historical parts of Pile's Peak. Did you know that the view from Pike's Peak inspired Katherine Lee Bates to write "America the Beautiful"? Well it did and I can see why. So this is the monument that has "America the Beautiful" and then explains the history behind it.


It was really cool. So then we continue walking and then Kate jumps up on the railing, asking us to take her picture.




So after we do, she is playing around and then slips.


So I take one of my favorite pictures ever. 1) It's a super good picture and looks like Kate is just sitting there admiring the view but 2) she really is crying because she slipped and landed on her butt. Haha.


So we make our way down and take some more pictures.


So then we pull over and Brendan and I continue to play a little. So we get out of the car and start making our way up this hill so we can climb on some rocks.



So then Brendan starts taking some artful pictures 


while I . . .took off and climb more rocks!


I felt so cool and hard core. I was pretty impressed with myself. Not going to lie. I did some pretty hard core climbing but sadly no one was there to witness it.
So we take more picture and make finally make our way off the mountain.
So we stop at this camp site that we are planning to camp at in a few weeks do to do some re-con. So while we are there we come across this little creek that we decided to play at for a while.


Of course I find a super good, super narrow spot to plank on (that even Corinne was impressed with my balance and that I didn't fall in) for our planking war.


 But then I take a serious picture because I know that Dad would have wanted me too.


So then get this. Corinne wanted Kate to take a nice picture too but she wouldn't sit on the tree so we get here to sit on the rock. But while I am putting her on the rock, I slip and fall in so then my foot gets completely soaked.


I was a little brought down. Not gonna lie.
So then we leave the creek and start off on our little tiny hike where we get to test run Brendan and Kate's back pack.


It was a great success and super helpful towards the end when Kate started to get a little tired.
All in all it was a fun day. I can officially cross a few things of my list. We have some plans to actually hike the peak in a few weeks so that still remains. However for the most part, things are holding up pretty well here in The Springs.


3 comments:

  1. Nice Planking!! I'm going to have to try some planking. It looks pretty daring, I want to be daring too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude.... planking is so out. didn't you hear?! lol... my dad just informed me the new cool thing is "owling". However, after some research, I think its the dumbest thing I have ever seen. More power to the plank!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care about planking or owling(whatever that is) But I like all the hiking and picture taking that is going on.

    ReplyDelete